Monday 19 December 2011

Keswick AC Christmas Handicap Race

Yesterday, I competed in our club's traditional Christmas handicap race. We start and finish at the cricket pavilion in Fitz Park, doing a loop up into the woods on the lower slopes of Latrigg Fell. I set myself the same targets as last week; never faster than 10 mins/mile and walk all the hills. This did make my handicap rather difficult to work out, but I slotted in fairly near the front of the field.

It was a beautiful morning and I was just so excited to be in a "race" again. My previous competitive outing was in March and I've been so looking forward to this moment. It was a rather inauspicious start as the runners in front steadily ran into the distance and those behind slowly but surely caught and passed me, but I was loving it!

As we got on to the muddier and rougher ground, I was better able to keep up, though, stopping to keep filming did ruin my chances of a comeback win. Towards the end, I felt like I could have pushed the pace a bit, but forced myself to stick to the plan, using the video camera as an excuse to walk.

I eventually toddled over the line having been passed or outrun by the entire field, bar one, to claim second last place. Never has such a lowly placing felt so good.


In the last week I have been out running four times and each one has felt a bit more comfortable than the previous one and I have suffered less and less from soreness and stiffness in the evening. I feel very close to the point where I might be able to start a more structured training programme but have decided to keep this ad lib training going for the time being. The problem at present is the strain that hills put on the tendon, but even this is getting easier. During the last week of term, I got back into the habit of running from school after work and it felt really good to get back into that routine.

I received a few entries for the photo competition from last week, thank you to those that entered and I hope you enjoyed working out where the shots were taken and how far along the route each site is. Most seemed to comment that Photo 3 was the most difficult to pin-point. For those that had a look, here are the actual answers;
   Photo 1 - Crossroads in path at Arlehaven, just after crossing B821 (4.49 miles)
   Photo 2 - WHW marker post in last field before Drymen checkpoint (11.76 miles)
   Photo 3 - Ruin in Mugdock Woods, just as path swings to the left (1.43 miles)
   Photo 4 - Sharp left turn just before Gartness (9.55 miles)

Results



Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Photo 4

Total
Distance
4.49
11.76
1.43
9.55


Ian Wallace
Guess
4.4
11.9
1.5
9.8


Error
0.09
0.14
0.07
0.25

0.55
Thomas
Guess
4.65
11.8
2
9.94


Error
0.16
0.04
0.57
0.39

1.16
Tim
Guess
4.56
11.8
1.54
9.53


Error
0.07
0.04
0.11
0.02

0.24
Debs M-C
Guess
4.7
11.9
1.5
9.1


Error
0.21
0.14
0.07
0.45

0.87
John Kynaston
Guess
4.81
11.82
1.25
9.77


Error
0.32
0.06
0.18
0.22

0.78


Congratulations Tim, less than a quarter of a mile out overall. First name in the Hall of Fame!

2 comments:

Quentin Merritt said...

Well done Dave - good to see you back in action. Looks like it was a great day for it too. Cheers. Quentin

John Kynaston said...

Well done Dave.

I enjoyed the competition and I'm overjoyed to have finally beaten Debs at something this year!!!

Have a gerat Christmas