Monday 4 June 2012

Quad bashing on Skiddaw

I've had a good solid week of training and feel like I am back in the groove after taking an easier week after the long recce run from Ambleside to Wasdale. I have managed to get some hills in; steady on the climbs and then bash the descent. I feel as if my quads are toughening up and I hope this pays dividends during the big race.

Looking down on Keswick

This morning, I made the long climb up Skiddaw and had a great thrash back down, past the world and his wife on their way up. Right at the start of the run I met Colin, who was out for a training run up the same route in preparation for the Skiddaw Fell Race in July. We had a lovely chat on the way up, with Colin telling me how much he loves the area, having only just moved here. It always find it incredible how much quicker and easier a run is when you are chatting away for the duration. Thanks for the company, Colin.

Colin on the way up
Just as we approached the Gale Road car park, behind Latrigg, we caught another runner, fully kitted up for a day on the trails and carrying a Lakeland 100 road book. I commented that he must be on a recce, to which he replied "You're Dave aren't you?" He went on to introduce himself as Gordon and revealed that at 11:30pm last night he was watching the video with myself and John on this same section, getting a feel for the route. I'm glad the videos are useful.

Gordon on the route to the Blencathra checkpoint
Colin and I at the top
A great way to spent the morning and just the kick start I needed for another solid week of training to come.

I must just quickly pass on my congratulations to Debs for her amazing run in the Grand Union Canal Race, not only taking the ladies title but also winning outright!! Phenomenal performance!
Grand Union Canal Race website

1 comment:

John Kynaston said...

Interesting to read you are being recognised from our videos!

I wonder how many are watching them. I've had some nice comments back from a number of runners.

I'm planning a run up and down Ben Lomond this week ... as long as my calf is okay.